Things to do when life (or your friends who whisk you away to their farm house with lemon trees) gives you lemons:
- Firstly, and most importantly, take pictures of the lemons.
- Zest some of the lemons so you can use the zest and the juice in different things.
- Make some lemonade (see feedback below), to get you through the rest of the lemony things.
- Make some homemade and insanely easy lemon scrub by mixing equal parts of lemon juice and sugar. Works wonders on your face and body!
- Lastly, and most satisfying of all the above- lemony tea cakes with a thin layer of lemon butter cream. Bliss!
- 1 cup milk (low fat works too)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil/vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 1 ½ tsp lemon extract
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbs cornfour
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbs lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 175*c, and line a standard 12 muffin pan with liners or an 8” round cake tin or even a 7 by 11” rectangular loaf pan.
- Mix together the milk and the vinegar, and set aside to curdle. Add in the oil, sugar, extracts and mix well till combined.
- Add the baking powder, baking soda, salt and flour (all sifted) and mix well to combine into a smooth almost loose batter. Mix in the zest. Pour into mould and bake for about 22-24 minutes till lemony yellow and test with toothpick.
- Beat ½ cup unsalted butter with 1 tbs lemon juice, 1 tsp lemon zest and 1 cup powdered icing sugar. Add 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
If you liked this post, you may also like:
- As an alternate to the buttery frosting, especially if you want this to be a non-gluttonous indulgence, just mix a few tbs of lemon juice with equal amounts of sugar syrup, and paint over the warm cake with a brush.
- There is little as satisfying as a tall glass of fresh lemonade to beat the heat! Mix 2 tbs of lemon juice with 3 tbs of sugar syrup and top with sparkling water/soda and ice cubes.
- I think I made about 3-4 lemon cakes during the course of the last two weeks, and loved every lemony bite of it, as did all my other eaters, from grandma’s friends to fashion week designers!