Apologies at the outset for keeping this post brief. This sandwich came as a breath of fresh air on a boring mid week night, when I didn’t have the energy (or patience) to COOK. Yes, this is more assembly than cooking- see for yourself! Makes 2 serving as a whole dinner or halve it for a snack.
1. Ciabatta bread (4 individual loafs or a big loaf cut into individual sized portions)
2. 1-2 large ripe tomatoes, sliced round
3. Roasted bell peppers (make at home as I did here, or ready store bought)
4. 1 ball fresh mozzarella cheese
5. 1 cup pesto
1. 1 tbs fresh chopped parsley
2. ¼ cup fresh chopped basil
3. 1 clove chopped garlic
4. 1/3 cup olive oil
5. 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
1. Combine the garlic, herbs, olive oil and balsamic, either by hand or in a food processor. Vinaigrette is ready!
2. Spread the vinaigrette on one side of the loaf, and pesto on the other side. Layer with tomato, and the mozzarella and peppers.
3. Plate them and make sure to carry a box of tissues with you because this one’s going to be juicy!!
1. In case you don’t have any fresh parsley, you can substitute the fresh for 1 tsp dried. But i suggest that since the basil makes up quite a chunk of the vinaigrette, you stick with fresh basil.
2. These sandwiches don’t go soggy that quick—so one can even prepare them and keep earlier, or pack for lunch! If preparing ahead- pop the bread into the oven for approx 5 minutes before dressing it, so make it a bit crisp and non spongy.